Many companies are offering free and discounted materials during this time of quarantine. In this post, I’m only addressing the companies who are offering free books. You can find some of the other free materials (like free courses from Credo Courses and Ligonier) in previous posts.
And while many companies are offering extremely discounted books, Audible and Crossway are offering books absolutely free (including one of the best books on prayer that I’ve ever read: Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church).
On their website, Audible wrote:
For as long as schools are closed, we’re open. Starting today, kids everywhere can instantly stream an incredible collection of stories, including titles across six different languages, that will help them continue dreaming, learning, and just being kids. All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet. Explore the collection, select a title and start listening. It’s that easy.
- Timeless Tales of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit and Friends (Beatrix Potter)
- Winnie-the-Pooh: A. A. Milne’s Pooh Classics, volume 1 (A. A. Milne)
- Anne of Green Gables (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)
- Black Beauty (Anna Sewell)
- Great Poems for Children (Edward Lear, Lewis Carroll, Robert Louis Stevenson)
- Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book: The Mowgli Stories (Rudyard Kipling)
- White Fang (Jack London)
- The Screwtape Letters (C. S. Lewis)
- Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life (C. S. Lewis)
- A Grief Observed (C. S. Lewis)
- The Call of the Wild (Jack London)
- Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
- Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
- Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
- Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
- Moby-Dick (Herman Melville)
- My Antonia (Willa Cather)
- The Canterbury Tales (Geoffrey Chaucer)
- Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)
- Paradise Lost (John Milton)
- Romeo and Juliet (William Shakespeare)
You can view the entire library here.
Crossway has made the following ebooks available for free:
- Pursuing Health in an Anxious Age (Bob Cutillo) — (MOBI | EPUB | Discussion Guide)
- Big Picture Bible Crafts (Gail Shoonmaker)
- A Shelter in the Time of Storm (Paul Tripp) — (MOBI | EPUB)
- Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church (John Onwuchekwa)
- The Final Days of Jesus: The Most Important Week of the Most Important Person Who Ever Lived (Andreas J. Köstenberger and Justin Taylor)
Crossway is also giving free access to their ESV.org basic subscription plan to those who haven’t yet subscribed through May 31, 2020. The basic plan includes the following resources:
- 9 study Bibles, including the award-winning ESV Study Bible (containing 20,000+ study notes, 80,000+ cross-references, 200+ charts, 50+ articles, and 240 full-color maps and illustrations)
- A suite of original language tools related to The Greek New Testament, Produced at Tyndale House, Cambridge
- The complete interactive Knowing the Bible study series which consists of 45 volumes covering the Bible’s 66 books
See all the free resources Crossway has produced.